Enchantment by Orson Scott Card is a story about a modern man,Ivan, who discovers that fairytales are based on actual events as he magically enters one in the 9th or 10th century. While he is a little boy he comes upon a "sleeping beauty" being guarded by some unseen monster. As an adult he returns to the site just to prove to himself that he imagined the whole thing, but she is still there. She is trapped in a world between time with bridges into her world and ours. When he awakens her she tells him to propose marriage, so he does. He then follows her into her world and tries desperately to learn how to be a proper "king" all the while trying to evade the evil witch who cast the spell on sleeping beauty, none other than Baba Yaga.
It sounds rather silly as I type about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was such a fun read and I totally recommend it, unless you absolutely despise magic and can't get past it enough to enjoy a fabulous story. If that is you, you should open your mind and imagination a bit and enjoy a good fantasy story! ;o)
I give Enchantment 4 out of 5 stars, only because it had bad language that put this one in the PG-13 category. I hate that, it can totally ruin a book for me! It wasn't bad enough to ruin the book, but it definitely made it unworthy of 5 stars.
4 comments:
The book sound interesting. Has Richy read it? He loves reading Orson Scott Card books. Did you check this book out or did you buy it.
Richy has read it. I checked it out from the library.
I really enjoyed this one too.
i recently reread this and still enjoyed it, though the pointless crude language bugs me to death and some of the witch scenes were overly violent. i like how the author gives you perspective into both the main characters thoughts and feelings, and there's lots of good tension between them. the wrap up was a bit disney-ish for me, but definitely an enjoyable story!
Post a Comment