Monday, June 11, 2007

The Devil in the White City **

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the questions for this one. I still haven't quite finished it yet, but decided to get these up in case anyone has something they are dying to say. I've decided to try a different format this time of posting all the questions in one post, that way all the comments regarding the book are in one spot. Hope it all works!

I really am enjoying this book. It is harder for me to read than most of the books I've read, but I think it is the first historical nonfiction book I have attempted. I am sure I will have more to say (I always do), but for now, here are the questions.
They are in sub-categories:

Building the Fair
*Given living conditions in Chicago, what do you think drew people to the city?

*What do you think about the choice to use classical architecture rather than looking toward modern architecture?

*What did you think about the partnership of with Burnham and Root?
Do you think it takes a creative side and people skills to be able to
run a good business?

*How do you think Root's death affected the work?

*If you had your own island at the World's Fair to design what would you do with it?

*Would you have chosen Chicago architects for the Fair or brought in the best the country had to offer?

Murder at the Fair
*What do you think drew Holmes to the women that he killed?

*Why, after all he did, would guards still care for this man?

*How could so many crimes be kept a secret?

*Holmes said there was a devil in him from the time he was born. Do you think that is possible? Are some people made to be that way?

Writing of the Fair
*Did it come off well as a story or was it more like a documentary?

*Would the book have worked better for you if it had followed only one of the two plots? Which one would you have preferred to read?

*Generally speaking what did you like about the book? What did you dislike about the book?

There is plenty to talk about, let's dig right in!

11 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I am so mad! I just wrote a BIG review of the book in this comment box and it disappeared when I pressed post comment! Aaaarghh!

Kim-the-girl said...

OK, attempt #2...I just finished reading the book. I really liked it. Near the end it started to be really easy to read (I wonder if that was because my kids were nowhere to be heard). I admit I drudged through the first half because there wasn't a normal story progression, but once things were going well with the fair I was caught up in the magic of it all. I wish that I could have seen it! It was magnificent, Kim you need to let us know if anything remains of the fair in the Windy City.

I loved all the interesting tidbits and cameo appearance of "celebrities." There were so many things that I didn't know, (like Mr. Ferris' invention). It was fun and exciting to read those things, but the interim was somewhat dull for me.

Overall I think I'd give it 3 stars of 5.

Kim-the-girl said...

Building the Fair--I like the choice to use classical architecture, if they'd done anything less, they would have had to scale down. It would have made the fair either less grandiose or too silly looking (I think).

I was so sad when Root died, they made a great team, but Burnham was thrown into the deep end and learned how to swim (if you will). He grew leaps and bounds as a person/businessman/architect. I think in their form of business (trying to solicit clients to hire them) they do need creative and people skills. Luckily, they can be in the same person.

I think a combination of the world's best and Chicago's architects is the best way to do it. That was it is the CHICAGO WORLD'S fair.

Murder at the Fair--Holmes was seriously messed up! If you've read Twilight maybe you could relate, but to me, he was just like a vampire. He is inhuman, but human enough to lure his prey. This attractiveness (not necessarily physical) is what kept the police at bay, the guards at the prison favoring him, etc.

I think that some people are disposed to bad behavior, however, I think we still have our agency always.

Writing--It was a lot more like a documentary to me.

I would have been more into it, had it just followed Burnham's story.

My favorite parts of the story were at the end when the author told us what came of so many of the characters. I also really liked seeing what came out of the fair that we still have today.

My favorite part of Holme's tale was following the detective at the end.

Let's hear what you have to say!

Vause Family said...

I commented three times this morning and none of them are posted. Going to try this post and see what happens. Bah!

Vause Family said...

The question about having a devil inside Holmes always gets me going. Are people born bad? gay? predisposed to certain ailments? I have a hard time thinking God makes people bad. Life seems to be filled with choices each day. Those choices can lead to certain types of behavior.

Vause Family said...

I too loved learning all the fun tidbits about history. From what I know, the only building that is still standing is now the Museum of Science and Industry. I can't remember what building that originally was. But of course they've added on to that. It's still very cool looking. Chicago's architecture is something quite amazing. I don't think because they chose to do classic-looking buildings it slowed down the possibility for pushing the envelope. If I were show casing my home for some dignitaries I would do something classic, elegant, timeless and beautiful. It's safe. I like that. I'm boring.

Vause Family said...

I loved the way the book was written. Lots of historical facts and fun things to know. It adds an extra element to the book that keeps things going. Maybe I've just been reading too many non-fiction books that I'm used to it.

Kim-the-girl said...

One word: DISNEYLAND! How cool is that?!

Kim-the-girl said...

Being born bad is different from being predisposed to certain behaviors. For instance, a child of alcoholic parents is inherently predisposed to be one himself, the choices he makes are what make the difference.

People that are gay, are attracted to members of the same sex, some can become so obsessed with that attraction that they automatically think they are gay and destined to that lifestyle, however, they have a choice to make.

We all have weaknesses in our character. Satan knows what those weaknesses are and he tries with all his might to get us to make bad choices, it is up to us to make the right choices. Holmes decided to follow the master of lies and deceit rather than shun him.

Kim-the-girl said...

I think its very interesting that the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated the same year as the Fair, it was almost surreal to me, what a different world Chicago was from Salt Lake. Architecturally I wonder how the Tabernacle compares to some of the buildings in the Fair. I wonder if the architects would be in awe of such a structure.

Vause Family said...

That makes me laugh out loud considering both cities. Even now they are both so different! Let's rally up the points and see how many "Kim" comments we can get on this post!