I read Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach yesterday. I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was enjoyable.
It is a story about a girl named Hero (after the character in Much Ado About Nothing) and a search for a diamond that could lead to answer of the "Who was the real Shakespeare" question. Hero and her next door neighbor, Mrs. Roth along with the hottest boy in the 8th grade, Danny Cordova embark on the adventure together.
I liked the mystery involved. Both mysteries, I guess you could say; finding the diamond and the Shakespeare mystery. The book was obviously written for young readers (the main character is in the 6th grade). Therefore, the web woven wasn't very intricately, just enough to keep it somewhat interesting for an adult.
The Shakespeare mystery was what I enjoyed the most about this book. I've heard the arguments that perhaps William Shakespeare isn't really the author of the plays and poems, or at least all of them. I don't know a lot about it, really. This book gave me a little insight into some of those arguments for or against. The details and accounts in the book made me want to read and learn more of the period and of various historical figures like Henry VIII, Anne Boylen, and Elizabeth I.
I read it in a day, so you can see it was an easy and enjoyable read. I would recommend this one to my young reader friends, or if you have kids in the 4th-7th grade reading level you might want to check it out. Its always good to read something that encourages you to read and learn more, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment