Savvy is the story of a girl, Mibs, who is about to celebrate her 13th birthday. Mibs has a special family, although they're not that different from everyone else. "They're born, sometime later they'll die. They experience love and fear." They just have a "special know-how" that others might not. This "special know-how" is termed their savvy and it presents itself on their 13th birthday. Mibs grandpa can make the earth shake, one of her brothers causes hurricanes (and other less scary weather), and another creates electricity. Her mom's savvy is that she's "perfect." But what will Mibs' savvy be? The family has a quiet celebration away from the rest of the world as a means of protection, of the family's secret and of the people that could get hurt from the potentially dangerous "know-how." You see, a savvy doesn't start as a "know-how" it really starts as an uncontrollable source of power. The kids become home schooled at 13 so they can learn to "scumble" or control their savvy.
Well, Mibs is really excited (and maybe a little nervous) for her birthday and then the unthinkable happens... her beloved father is in a terrible accident. Her mom and oldest brother have to leave to be with him at the hospital and rather than having a quiet birthday at home the preacher's wife decides to throw a huge birthday party for Mibs. Before the party has a chance to start, Mibs' savvy presents itself and she passes out, causing quite an uproar with the preacher's wife. In an effort to escape Mibs hops on a Bible delivery bus that she assumes is heading to Salina where her dad is. Trouble is, her weather brother follows along with the preacher's two kids. They find out along the way that her younger brother who has a knack for hiding was already hiding on the bus and so he's along for the ride too. They all soon figure out that the bus is heading away from Salina not toward it and they are quickly discovered by the bus's insecure driver. The story follows them on their journey with everyone learning a little bit more about one another and, more importantly, about themselves.
I really enjoyed the story. It was very fun to read. I liked the characters and thought they were quite well developed for such a young audience. I could relate to many of them in various ways, which I think is essential to me really enjoying a book. I also didn't find it all that predictable which is another common issue with books in this genre. Now would you love Savvy? I don't know. But your 4th grader might. I certainly did enjoy it! Four stars!
2 comments:
This book sounds really interesting to me, and I think that I will try to get a copy of it to read. I need something fun to take me to another place for relaxation. Thanks for the description of the the book.
Hugs & Kisses Mom
If you liked "Savvy," you should definitely check out the companion book, "Scumble," also by Ingrid Law. It's coming out this summer!
Post a Comment