I have to say the reason I loved it so much was because Ella herself was so lovable. It didn't feel contrived or beat into my head repeatedly that she was clumsy. She was so much fun, I would definitely want to be her friend.
I love, love, loved her mom. She is exactly the kind of mother I wish I was! I wish we had been able to enjoy her more in the story, but her effect on Ella was consistently evident in the story.
I loved the relationship with Mandy! She was so down to earth. Just had a real solid head on her shoulders, I guess living a full, long life will do that to some people. What a blessing she was to Ella.
And, of course, I loved the relationship with the prince. How could you not?! It was fun, real, clean, everything that I remember about my courtship with my honey. Pure delight! I knew it had to end happy, but I seriously had no idea how it would get there.
The story was a Cinderella story, but it had such original twists to it that it seemed fresh and new. It took me only 4 hours to read and I wished it had been longer. I wanted to keep on enjoying all of the characters for days and days. If you have a daughter any age over 7 probably, I would guess she'd love it too.
I give it 4 1/2 stars because I loved it, I could probably read it again today and still enjoy it. I have not seen the movie, I've heard mixed reviews, but we'll probably check it out from the library on watch it one of these days. I don't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did the book, but it is so rare that I do that it comes as no surprise. I'll try to let you know how we like it...
3 comments:
Kim you have made me want to check this book out and read it. You should be proud.
I love you tons.
Mom Holliday
Sydney and I have read this book together and we loved it! The movie with Anne Hathaway is fun (but has a modern twist) but the book is much better and more interesting.
Sydney has read several other books written by Gail Carson Levine but I haven't. Maybe I should.
I'll have to check out the book. I caught bits of the movie while the kids were watching it and it seemed a little silly, but maybe I'd like the book better.
Post a Comment