Its the story of Aza, a girl who was raised by an innkeeper and his wife in the land of Ayortha. In this land two things are valued above all others, singing voice and beauty. The innkeeper and his family love her just like their own, despite her looks- Aza is ugly. But she has a voice that almost makes up for it... almost. Through circumstances she ends up going to the castle for the King's wedding. The bride is from another land and a stranger to their customs. Aza ends up in a tough position with the queen demanding things from her that she feels she cannot refuse, leading to trouble.
I really loved this story. I loved Aza. I could empathize with her from the very beginning. I loved her family and her relationship with them. So often in books people have incredibly strained relationships with at least one member of their family and I found this refreshing. I loved the kingdom of Ayortha, such a happy place. I really liked the supporting characters. The new queen even was made sympathetic, which is quite amazing. There was romance, intrigue, friendship, adventure. There were even some characters mentioned from Ella Enchanted that I loved so much. That was a fun surprise. It was a great book! Its another young adult novel which made it an easy, quick read. Very fun for anyone from about 8 and up, I'd think.
Four and half stars for being a delightful, fun story with setting and characters to match. I loved it!
No comments:
Post a Comment