1 1/2 cups chocolate chips- semi-sweet or milk chocolate
2 Tbsp butter
1 can evaporated milk
Melt the chocolate and the butter in the microwave, stirring frequently until smooth. Add the milk, gently whisking it in. Microwave in 30 second increments until it is thick and glossy. It was thicken more as it sets. Serve warm over ice cream.
So for our date last night, we had a fairy tale theme because I'd borrowed Ella Enchanted from the library to watch. We were stuck at home, due to scout camp and girl's camp falling on the same week. We carved soap and told tales about our carvings. E's was a crystal ball and mine was a tower. Then we played Pictionary with an "Enchanted" twist. The person drawing didn't know what they were drawing, they had to do as they were told and figure out what it was. There were three rounds; 1 where we could both see, 1 where the one drawing was blindfolded, 1 where the person giving direction was blindfolded. It was great fun!
Finally, while we were watching the movie (which is very, very different from the book I loved so much) I made a treat "fit for a king"-- really I just wanted an awesome banana split. I made the hot fudge sauce and the chocolate totally seized up! It was like curdled chocolate, and I'd even bought the nice Guittard milk chocolate chips! So I tried to mix the milk in to smooth it out, and it smoothed out, but it was the consistency of milk, not hot fudge. What a bummer!
So I figured out the reason... I used margarine instead of butter because I don't buy butter since the allergy diagnosis. I didn't even think about it, but margarine's second ingredient is water. I knew that water would do that to melted chocolate, but I neglected to consider the water in margarine... so learn from my mistake and if you're ever melting chocolate with a fat- you can use butter, you can use shortening, you could probably even use oil- never, never, never use margarine!
4 comments:
ohh man that IS a bummer! But look at you, still!!! You have way more gumption than me. What a fun date.
i'm going to try your hot fudge sauce today! with brownies and ice-cream! ooh la la!
Can I come? :) Pretty please with a cherry on top?
The hot fudge sounds sooooooo good. But alas I shall not be trying it. Since I quit eating chocolate, mints, spicy food, fried food, lifting the head of the bed, and not eating anything at least 2 hours before bed my coughing has dramatically slowed down. So I had better be good. Bummer!
Love
Mom Holliday
Post a Comment