I hope you enjoyed the book this month as much as I did. I'll be honest, I was a little worried I would be bored. I have started a couple other Jane Austen books and just couldn't get into them. Of course, that was right after reading Pride and Prejudice (which I loved!) so maybe I was a little biased. Anyway, I loved this one too! I think I enjoyed it just about as much as P&P. What did you think? Here are some questions to get the discussion rolling...
Explain the title.
Austen's humor works, as always, throughout, but would you describe Persuasion as a funny book?
Is Anne Elliot Austen's most perfect heroine? Do you like a perfect heroine?
Is Wentworth Austen's most perfect hero? Are you persuaded that his entanglement with Louisa Musgrove was unintentional? What do you suppose the impact of Anne's presence as spectator had on his attentions to the Musgrove girls?
Is Mrs. Russell a true friend to Anne despite her occasional bad advice? How do you feel about her eagerness to match Anne with Mr. Elliot? (Does anyone feel sorry for Elizabeth when Mr. Elliot suddenly switches his attentions from her to Anne?)
Sir Walter Elliot believes that cold weather has an unfortunate effect on women's beauty. Do you agree? How about hot weather? In which weather do you personally look your best?
In a particularly famous passage Anne Elliot says that men have had the pen in their hands when assigning strengths and weaknesses to the sexes. Now that the pen is in Austen's hands what does she use it to say about men and women?
In Bath Anne begins to believe that Wentworth still cares for her. Why can't she simply tell him she is uninterested in Mr. Elliot? Does this drive you nuts? Would you say something to him if you were Anne?
Is it still the man's job to pursue, the woman's to be pursued?
6 comments:
I think the title comes from the fact that Anne was persuaded by close ones to not marry Capt. Wentworth. And the comparison between Louisa's determination and her supposed lack thereof. I loved the thoughts that came to Anne when Louisa fell, that being so head strong isn't always all its cracked up to be (no pun intended).
I found myself laughing throughout the book, but no I wouldn't say it is a funny book. Maybe if I read it again with that in mind I would have a different opinion.
I thought Anne was extremely good. I've only fully read one other Austen novel, and seen a couple movies, so I don't know if she is the most perfect. She certainly isn't the most exciting to read about though, Elizabeth Bennett took that honor for me.
Darcy, was more perfect than Wentworth. I think he had it in mind to marry one of the Musgrove girls before Anne was in the picture, but after she came on the scene he became that much more involved. Due to spite and confusion both. I don't think it was pure malice, but I think there was some motivating him.
Mrs. Russell is one of those people that put too much stock in pride. I think she really cares for Anne, but I think she would have done better to mind her own beeswax!
I think cooler weather is my most beautiful! Overcast skies and cool temperatures make me look vibrant! :)
When Anne doesn't talk to him, absolutely it does drive me nuts! I don't know how people lived like that!
I had to take matters into my own hands with Ethan! :)
WOW! That's a big comment! Hope it doesn't take as long to get through it as it did the book :)
Oh, one of my favorite moments was when Anne needed the solitude and silence only numbers could provide. This is so true! When I'm in a big group I can just disappear, generally I'm not a fan of the big numbers, but in a case like this, its great!
Persuasion does have its own humour, as ever Austen book, but it is not her funniest. This book is a little more serious as I think it reflects some of Austen's deepest regrets, although it turns out happier than her own life.
I don't know who Austen's most perfect heroine is. Anne is a little less flawed than some other characters, but I like the bvery real "human" aspect of all her characters.
I think one of the most perfect heroes (and most under appreciated) is Henry Tillney from Northanger Abbey.
Wentworth's entaglement with Louisa was intentional and I agree with Kim that he had already made up his mind to date one of the Musgrove's before coming into the country. Seeing Anne again definitely made him change tactics.
Mrs. Russell tries to be a good friend and really prides herself in being able to direct Anne's life with "good" advice. She really thinks she is doing what is best for Anne, for in her mind a good match with excellent connections and wealth is far better than a love match.
I think Autumn weather is the best for me.
Austen says that women love longer than men through Anne. But through Wentworth's friend (sorry can't remember the name right now) she says that men love longer. I think the point she is trying to say is that we can't really know the dispostion for love in the other sex, and both have the capabilities and the strength to love for a long time and not sway from that love.
Anne can't bring herself to talk to Wentworth because she doesn't know his true feelings and I think she is embarassed by her earlier actions with him. It bugs me a little, but I know that all will work out well as with every Austen novel.
I like the romatic idea of the man being the pursurer, but I recognize that a lot of our husbands just aren't the old fashioned romantic type and the woman has to do some of the pursuing (at least enough to get the man interested, and then he does the rest). I also know that a lot of men want to be the pursuer.
Hey Kim,
I saw your link on Ethan's site. It was great to see another avid reader out here. Have you checked out goodreads.com? It is a great place to keep track of books.
I also thought I would mention that PBS Masterpiece Theatre is doing the complete Jane Austin on Sunday nights. Di and I have really enjoyed it. Take care and keep in touch.
Justin
Can I just comment on this floating baby on the right side of my screen?!! Congrats you brave lady! Any hope for a girl? Or hope for another boy! Its excellent to see that there is life after 3 boys and optometry school! Take care...
Megan
Megan! Hello and welcome to the blogging world! (I guess you've been around for a little bit, now but its nice to see you here). Thanks for your congrats! We'll be happy with whatever, boy or girl and I have no idea what to expect! Ultrasound is next week, so we may know soon. Thanks for posting! (sorry for the delay in response, we've been making the move from Florida and just got connected today-HOORAY!)
Post a Comment