Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dark Water Rising ***-

I finished another one of the books from my list for 2010, Dark Water Rising by Marian Hale. Of course, I enjoy YA lit a lot (that's evident just by looking at my list...) but there are varying level of enjoyment within the genre. There is the "I loved this book so much, I can't wait to tell everyone about it!" level. Then there is the "This was good, I think I'll let my friends know their kids should read it" level. And then there is the "I really liked this, but I wish that it had been written on more of an adult level" level.

Dark Water Rising fits into the last level for me. I really enjoyed the content, but I didn't feel satisfied upon finishing. I want to find more information about the Galveston flood of 1900 and learn more and more about the people. It really was a tragic situation for all those in the area, but I was amazed how far reaching the storm was... I learned from the author's note at the end that the storm ravaged up through the entire midwest and up through Canada, not disappearing until Siberia.

I think this book was well done for its target audience, but it left me wanting more info. So, with that I gave it 3 and a half stars.

3 comments:

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

I will say hello in passing... Hello!

love, Jane

Grandma Hoss said...

So is this book fiction, true,or is it a little of both?

Love you Mom

Kim-the-girl said...

Mom, its a little of both. Historical fiction is the genre.