Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ender's Game Discussion *****

Ender's Game...FINALLY!!! Did you read it? Did you like it? What did you or didn't you like? Let's get some good discussion going.

Explain the statement, "Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." After you explain it, tell whether you agree or disagree with the statement and give reasons to support your answer.

Competition and praising Ender's skills are meant to set him apart from the others. For what purpose is this being done and what are the possible types of consequences of these actions?

Explain the following quote in relation to this story and to your own life: "Individual human beings are all tools, that the others use to help us all survive."

Ender works hard to express his feelings in private and not show homesickness in front of any other person. Is it healthy for him or not? What is positive and what is negative about showing feelings? What is positive and what is negative about not showing feelings?

We learn in this chapter that there is a question of whether it is OK to sacrifice the well-being of a child in order to save the world. What exactly is Ender having to sacrifice? How do you think he is being trained to save the world?

How does Ender react to conflicts? What are his reactions? How would you react to the same events? Is what you would do different from what you would like to do?

My brother Richy added a couple of questions in his post, let's add them to the discussion:

What did Peter represent to Ender, and why was this important? Do we have "Peters" in are lives?

What were the pros and cons of Ender's leadership style? Compare his to Bonzo or Rose de Nose.

Thanks everybody, for your patience and for participating. It is really fun for me to talk about books with you all. Until next time, Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished Ender's Game after work today. There were things I liked about the book and things I really disliked about the book. I think that the thing I disliked the most was that children were being used, and not told the truth. I think it was to protect them, but I didn't like it. Ender wasn't able to just be a child. He had feelings and desires and he was forced to make a choice he really didn't want to make inorder to survive. I don't like anyone being hurt, or hurting someone else. So it bothered me that there was so much violence in the book. And in the end there didn't need to be. The Buggers had realized that they were wrong and didn't intend to go to war with the humans again. The book was well written, and kept my interest the whole time. I really liked Ender and I felt sorry for him. I thought that some of the adults loved him and wanted him to be happy after he had accomplished the saving of the human race. I didn't like Peter being made the head of anything. I wanted Valentine and Ender to find someone and marry and have children of their own that they could bring up in a loving home, but the book just left me hanging in that respect.

Kim-the-girl said...

My mom posted her comments on August 17 actually, so I just copied them into this forum. If you have anything to add, mom, please do.

Oh ya, the questions were gathered from Orson Scott Card's website and were written by D. Schoeneman in Jan. 2002.

Anonymous said...

In response to my mom's comments I want to tell her that there are more books in which Ender and Valentine find families. I can understand her dislike of the violence in this book. Book, but that leaves us with another good question: If you cannot communicate with your enemies (the buggers), and only see their actions (the buggers attack) what would be the proper response? I think this question has many political applications in todays world. Most wars are started because of a lack of communication and true understanding of one another.

As for my opinion on this book. I LOVE IT. It is probably my favorite book ever. I really enjoy the psychological and philosophical ideas expressed throughout it. Ender is one of the most perfect heroes. He is incredibly intelligent and understanding of others. He is also willing to sacrifice his own happiness for the happiness and well being of those he loves (Valentine).

To answer some of the discussion questions. I think that Ender handles conflicts by ensuring that those same conflicts will never happen again. With Stilson and the bullies, he knew that if he only defeated stilson a little then they would be back with more. So he crossed the line and destroyed Stilson and with him his friend's desire for retaliation. The same was true with Bonzo. He did something similar with Bernard, by taking away those in his group that would support him. Once on his own Bernard wouldn't have the guts to continue his actions.

I think that lies can help one discover the truth. The problems with lies is that unless the question only had two possible answers the lie doesn't get you any closer to the truth.

The teachers separate Ender from the rest of the group because they don't want him thinking that he has some way out of the problems he would face. Ender is a natural builder and leader, but he has to be willing to lead his team where it is hard to go. He has to know that as a leader the decisions and all the responsibilities lie with him.

I think it is ok to sacrifice a child for the well being of the world. If one child could save 200 others wouldn't it be worth that child's sacrifice. If the entire world were dependent upon one child's sacrifice I think that child must sacrifice.

Kim had asked me to help her come up with some questions. I didn't get them to her in time so I think I will post a few myself.

What did Peter represent to Ender, and why was this important? Do we have "Peters" in are lives?

What were the pros and cons of Ender's leadership style? Compare his to Bonzo or Rose de Nose.

Well I hope we get some more discussion because I love this book.

Anonymous said...

Peter represented all that is mean, uncaring & bad in his life. Ender really did not want to be like Peter. He wanted to be a leader who was loving. He wanted to be a nice guy who others followed out of love rather than fear.

I don't have a Peter in my life at this time, but I have had some in the past. I just do my best to not be a Peter.

Having people follow you because of respect and love is a definite pro. Having people follow you out of fear is a definite con. Ender earned the respect and love of the team, they would have done anything for him.