We decided that if he kept his clothespin at the top of the line during school, then we would get to read together. If he moved his clothespin, he had to go to bed at the same time as his brothers with no reading.
The system has really worked for us. We have read a lot of books together too. I love that it is teaching him to love reading even more than he did before. He sometimes feels he gets picked on because he's the oldest... this provides a special "treat" for that same title. I also love the special time it is for the two of us. I hate it when I miss it and Daddy gets to read with him.
So far, since August, we have read
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Holes
- The Goose Girl
- The Wizard of Oz
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
One of his Christmas gifts was a set of Ready, Freddy! books by Abby Klein. They are chapter books with about 90 pages about a first grader named Freddy. My cutie has started reading these aloud to me and we're on chapter 4. I can already see a huge improvement on his reading skills. His dad was reading with us one afternoon and kept looking at me in shock when he would read words like "Frankenstein," "continued," and "instructed."
I can see that this skill is giving him confidence in other areas of his life too. Reading was never my thing as a kid. I did read The Babysitter's Club books, but that is really about it. I love giving my boy the variety of characters to relate to and learn from. I think he can really relate to Freddy. Last night as we talked about the creation of Narnia, we compared it to the creation of our world by Christ and when I asked him if it sounded similar he said, "its 1 million percent the same!" with awe and wonder in his voice.
I'm curious what do you to teach your little ones to love reading? How has it affected their lives? Your relationships?
6 comments:
Ahem, well, Kim- I am nowhere near your level when it comes to reading! But, I can see your example and hope Conrad and I can share that same favorite thing to do together. Our latest read (which I bought with Christmas $ from his grandpa richard conrad) is called "Ten Little Ladybugs." He really enjoys touching the ladybugs in the book. Plus, he is improving on his counting skills.
Anyway, I love to read to Conrad. It's the sitting down and holding still part that hinders me. But when I do I enjoy it like how Bryant said, "1 million percent!"
I am a girl whose mother read to us each night while we were in bed. She sat out in the hall in the light and read. I don't remember what she read. But I have ALWAYS LOVED reading. I still do. Mom and Dad signed us up for the Weekly Reader Book Club. I LOVED when those books would come. I look back now and wonder how they afforded those books on their meager budget.
You are giving Bryant one of the best gifts/tools for his life. I am impressed beyond 1 million percent at his abilities ...and he isn't even halfway through kindergarten!!! Hold onto the reins! Love, Jane
I'm reading "The Magician's Nephew" to my kids right now also.
Sydney enjoyed "A Wrinkle in Time" that we just finished a couple of months ago and you MUST read "The Tale of Despereaux." It was fantastic!
That is so neat. I read every night with Cade when he was little...but hardly ever with the poor poor girls. Those oldest children get all the attention, don't they? :)
It's amazing how much one on one time with kids can be a positive force, add in a great book and you've got a great thing. I can't really say I've done anything specific myself. E loves reading naturally and L appears to be on track that way. B has never been huge into it, but he loves learning in other ways. He has always enjoyed the more scientific books, with pictures and facts.
I am way impressed with Bryant and you. What a good example you are for your children. That will give them such and advantage in school. I like the one on one thing too. Way to go Kim.
I love you tons.
Mom
Post a Comment