Thursday, October 21, 2010

Movie Reviews

So... I've been reading some books that I thought I'd mention here, but not right now. I wanted to tell you about a fabulous movie that the hubs and I watched this week...

Amazing Grace

It was such a great film! Its an historical account of the slave trade being abolished in Great Britain and the incredible efforts of many, especially William Wilberforce, in bringing it to pass. Apparently Wilberforce was inspired by his preacher who was a reformed slave ship captain who upon finding God, wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace."

It was a beautiful, beautiful film. I loved it! Just about everything about it, I loved. The scenery, the acting, the characters, but most importantly the story. It was truly inspiring, reminding me that one can make a difference and to persevere through much trial and apparent failure.

I don't know how accurate the story was to real life events, but it made me want to learn more about the event and people. It also made me yearn for more knowledge about the political system of the time. Besides giving me a thirst for knowledge, it gave me a good feeling. Its not very often that I stop watching a movie and feel like I'm a better person for having watched it, but I did after this one. We actually watched it in two parts (its only 2 hours) because I couldn't stay awake the first night but really didn't want to miss any of it. I should note that I have a hard time staying up late all the time, but especially while watching a movie. Hubby has finished watching countless movies with me asleep next to him, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've ever stopped it so I wouldn't miss the rest.

It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Loved it. Highly recommend you get your hands on it. Its not action packed excitement, rather its thought provokingly paced so you can soak it all in. I found it at my library, but wouldn't mind owning it to revisit after I do some research. Let me know if you watch it and what you think!

Do you have any movie recommendations? I'd love to hear them...

3 comments:

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

I don't even remember that movie. Is it an older one? It certainly sounds like something I would enjoy! love ya! Jane

Grandma Hoss said...

I have heard of the movie and everyone has said that it is worth while to watch. Maybe dad & I will rent it this weekend. You have me wanting to watch it even more now. Love you Mom

Shiree said...

Oh, this movie is wonderful. After I watched it I told Cory that I wanted to own it and that is rare! Now we do own it. :)