Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ranger's Apprentice

I found a new series to read with my boys!  The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan is so much fun!  Will is a ward of the Castle Redmont because he is parentless and his father died as a hero.  He knows nothing of his parentage other than that.  On Choosing Day all the wards get to meet with the Masters and declare their hopes for an apprenticeship.  If they are accepted, they begin their work in their desired field.  If they are not accepted, they are sent to work the farms outside the city in the countryside, a thankless and difficult job.  Will has his hopes set on being a battle school apprentice, but Choosing Day brings some disappointment and surprises his way.

The Ruins of Gorlan is book 1 in this series and I highly recommend it!  I have it listed as part of my Books for Boys list, but know that it does come with some good talking points.  There is a significant amount of bullying and a some violence (there is a battle school, after all).  I think it presents these topics in a way that really can open up discussion with your kids.  It might be a perfect example of why its important to read what your child is reading so you can open up discussion about some topics that might not be easy to get into otherwise.

I have only read through book 4 in the series.  There are 11 books that come highly recommended and a book 12 that I've heard you might want to avoid.

Bottom line:  If you're looking for a new series for your older child (age 9 and up?) I couldn't recommend this one any higher!  I can hardly wait to read more of it!

No comments: