Monday, November 12, 2007

Children's Book Highlight

I've decided to highlight a children's book each week. It should be fun to try to find new books on a regular basis that we love and can highly recommend. The kids will be a big part of selecting the book that gets highlighted, so if you don't like it...you can take it up with them. ;)

The first book that will get this special honor is one of our very favorites by perhaps my very favorite children's author to date. We love all his book, they are interactive and educational. They are entertaining and most spectacular of all the illustrations are fabulous! I'm sure that you all are at least somewhat familiar with his work and some of you may be as big a fan as we are. Here's a pic of Bryant reading it to Jonas.



Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Eric Carle. I was first introduced to this book by friends (Jared and Lisa)in Sacrament Meeting. They had it for their son and of course our boys were right in their faces, so they let us look at it. I fell in love and decided we needed to get it. It is incredibly simple and stunning at the same time. The kids really enjoy knowing what comes next and it is a great vibrant book that teaches colors, we can also teach animals and their sounds as we read it. The reason this is the highlight book is that it was the beginning of Carle's "true career." For which I am so grateful.

Some of our other favorites of Carle's include:
From Head to Toe (the kids love acting out all the things they and the animals can do).
The Very Quiet Cricket (the last page is a special treat)
The Very Lonely Firefly (again the last page is great for the kids)
The Very Busy Spider
The Tiny Seed
Do You Want to Be My Friend?

Check out Eric Carle's webiste and the website for The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. We love to read Eric Carle's book and we hope you do too!

2 comments:

KellyAnne said...

When I first came to this site just now I was thinking that Brown Bear was your new book to read! But I see the other posts now. :) I love Brown Bear too though-- my kids have each loved it in turn, memorizing the words. Do you know there's also the Polar Bear version of it?

aLi said...

I actually checked out "The Very Busy Spider" a month ago to take to church and read to our nursery class. It was a very good, simple book that kept the kids' attention.