I was recently asked to make a cake for a baby shower for a gal in my ward who was having a baby boy. I brainstormed until I came up with this fabulous idea, the only trouble was I needed to figure out how to do fondant.
I found a recipe here that makes a delicious alternative to traditional fondant. I was nervous to try it, but got up the nerve Wednesday night. It took lots of kneading, but it was worth it! I let it sit in the fridge until the next afternoon when I was ready to color it. I added my gel food coloring (using gloves so I didn't dye my hands as well) and kneaded some more, until I had lots of bright colors to get wild about. My green frosting on the sides was too runny, so the leaves just look like blobs of green, but the greenery in the rainforest isn't perfect, so who cares? My monkey was done at the very last minute, so he's not perfect either, but the top of the cake looked just as I envisioned it!
My review of the taste: It was very sweet (as expected from the ingredients). One gal told me she tasted fondant once before and thought it tasted like soap. She ate mine and was totally surprised. She even peeled it all off her piece of cake and ate it solo so she could savor just that flavor. Another gal got up for seconds saying, "I want more of that fondant." So I guess it was a hit.
If you're considering making this, try it! Like I said before, I was really nervous, but it was quite easy and so therapeutic. It opens up so many opportunities for decorating. It made making my cake a little easier, too, I think. And the finished product speaks for itself.
7 comments:
What an awsome cake. You are way talented. You'll have to teach me how to do this. The colors are great too. Love it, love it, love it. Way to go Kim.
Love you tons
Mom Holliday
Ok it is offical. Everyone loves the cake. They all (10) agree with me that you are soooooooooooo talented. I am so proud of you. Lothar said a chip off the old block. That made me even more pleased & proud.
Love you
Mom Holliday
holy cow, Kim that cake is soo awesome!!! And that is cool that you found a recipe for yummy fondant. I may have to refer back to it someday. !!! Yay for you!!! Good job Good Job! GOOD JOB!!!!
Holy talented Kimalicious!
WOW!!!!! (Said in a loud, low voice for major emphasis). I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOUR TALENT!!! That is beyond my capability to imagine...except for the professionals on TV. SO AMAZING!!
Really Kim, if you still had a piece of it, I would be buying a ticket to fly down and eat a bite....well, maybe a BIG chunk!
Pat yourself on the back! Ya done GOOD!!! love, Jtmil
Oh-it is so cute-I can't believe that you came up with it on your own and that it's your first try with fondant. Now I am not (quite) so scared to work with it, but I must have your recipe!
You've inspired me to start planning for Nola's birthday :)
WOW! That is amazing!
Post a Comment