Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Book


Well, the people have spoken and the book this month is Freakonomics by Steven Levitt. I just finished it today and I think it will be a good discussion...that is, if you'll join me! It is a really easy read (I started it Sunday and only read while the kids were in bed for the night-keep in mind that this prego body of mine cannot stay awake very long while reading).

I do have to warn you that it has some controversial topics discussed and there are a couple of places that have bad language. To warn you in advance, the first happens in Chapter 2, How Is the Ku Klux Klan Like a Group of Real-Estate Agents? (page 70) in a conversation between two guys Kevin and Bob. Its not pertinent, so skip it if you'd like. The next chapter is Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live with Their Moms? In it there is a lot of discussion of gangs and there is a lot of bad language from their quotes. I'm sorry if you're terribly offended by our choice...I honestly didn't know the content when I suggested it, I'd just heard great things about it.

I hope you'll read this one, its not our typical read by any stretch of the imagination. It was quite enjoyable and offers some new perspectives to many subjects. And like I said, it should prove to be a great discussion. I'll post questions by April 8 and then you can respond as you read. Thanks for voting!

Oh, one last thing...since The Scarlet Pimpernel was such a close second (it really could have been a tie, if you read the comments to the post below) we'll plan on reading it in May! I'm going to go get my copy from the library this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get your copy of April's book from the library? I never get to the library so I'm not sure how to find a copy to read.

Kim-the-girl said...

You could easily buy it, mom. Or just ask Dennis to get it from the library for you.