Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Scarlet Pimpernel Discussion

Finally getting around to posting questions, sorry for the wait. My life has been a little busy the past few weeks, if you want an excuse. ;o) These questions were taken from GradeSaver.com.

  1. Do you consider the narrator to be impartial? Does the narrator ally him or herself with a class, a country, a cause?

  2. Who is the central protagonist in The Scarlet Pimpernel? In other words, who carries the emotional weight of the novel?

  3. How is point-of-view a crucial device in the rendering of Percy? Do we ever experience events through his perspective? How is his heroism dependent upon the way he is seen?

  4. At what point does Lady Blakeney become a sympathetic character? Would you consider her an unlikable character as she initially appears?

  5. What purpose does the Comtesse de Tournay serve in the larger arc of the novel? Why do you think she disappears after the first section of the book?

  6. How does Chauvelin manage to be a threatening villain without ever having to engage in physical combat with the Pimpernel? Is he ultimately threatening?

  7. How is the Scarlet Pimpernel flower a larger motif for the themes of the novel? Does it fit Percy as a character?

  8. Why doesn't Chauvelin have to die at the end of the book for a successful resolution? Would the novel have been more satisfying with a different resolution, or does the resolution as Orczy presents it fit the tenor of the book as a whole?

  9. How does loyalty play a key role in the distinction between Percy succeeding and Chauvelin failing in achieving their goals? Are these respective men's followers equally loyal to their causes? Is their loyalty distinct?

  10. Is Percy a less admirable hero for never physically taking on his enemies? What is his ultimate goal as the Scarlet Pimpernel?

3 comments:

Allison said...

These are hard questions!! I'm going to have to think about some of them for a while and then get back to you!

Anonymous said...

I was a bit let down with this book - not sure why. I guess I was expecting it to be a historial spy book, a fun version of A Tale of Two Cities. Which it was but I wanted lots more history of the time and intrigue. Instead, it was much more of a romance. The story was fairly predictable to me, the language was difficult (as I don't know any french), and I found the romantic 19th century writing annoying. I did enjoy the story and want to find a good movie version of it. I think if I saw it on stage it could be a favorite. I actually liked it, especially the last 1/3, but I had extremely high expectations that weren't totally met so I can't rave. It was however a good classic to check off my list as "read."

As for your questions: My thoughts...

I think the point of view of the novel is crucial because how the entire sotry is seen depends on how you see Percy - which changes as Margot changes her views. At first you see him as a dimwit, then as a prideful fool, then as a hero, then finally as the complete, fully dimensioned man that he is. Interesting as we think of our marital relationships, eh?

I wouldn't have been any more or less satisfied if Chauvelin had died. If he had died someone else in that terrible revolution would have continued on in the hunt. The resolution comes in the fact that he lost, and they got away proving that the Pimpernel was Victorious. (Which had to eat at Chauvelin for the rest of his life.) Yet, the ending was so quick it begs the question. Did Percy continue rescuing? There were certainly more people who needed help, so did he stop going to France? Or did he continue plotting from the safe shores of England?

I found the most satisfying part of the story when Margot and Percy finally lower the barriers and are truly open with each other. They are perfectly matched for one another, they just needed to lower the pretenses and pride to see their dream spouse right there in front of them!

Allison said...

1. I think the narrartor is not impartial and definitely allies himself with England and against the French Revolution.

2. I think the central protaganist is Lady Blackney as she carries the emotional weight through most of the novel.

3. The point of view is very crucial in the rendering of Percy. We see as his character evolves (through Lady Blackney) into the Scarlet Pimpernel from a self-involved idiot. WE definitely experience events in life like this. As we get to know someone more, our opinion of them can change and relationships can strengthen or wane.

4.Lady Blackney becomes a sympathetic character when we learn that she did not intentionally betray the family in France. I thought she was unlikable at first, but I really liked her more as the book went on.

5. Comtesse de Tournay, I think, served 2 purposes. First to inform the reader of Lady Blackney's "informant" past so we can see why Percy has withdrawn from her. Second to show the characteristics of the French upper class, especially pride. This gives some reason behind the revolution. SHe disapears after the first section of the book because her purpose has been served and because the point of view has switched to Lady Blakney who is not associating with her.

6. Chavelin is threatening becuase he is smart, cold, and devious and also becuase he is obsessed with finding the Pimpernel. He is also obsessed with the "rightness" of the revolution. He thinks he is doing noble deeds but capturing those who are not for the revolution. I think these characteristics make him very threatening.

7. I think the flower fits Percy. It is unassuming. Such a common flower fits Percy's disguise very well.

8. I like that Chavelin does not die. He has to live with the shame of being outwitted, yet again, by the Pimpernel. It is his ultimate disgrace.

9. Percy's followers were very loyal to him. I think that played a great role in his plans. Chauvelin's followers were more loyal out of fear of retribution than to the cause. Yes, they wanted freedom and a democracy, but to the extremes that went wouldn't have been achieved without fear.

10. I think Percy is more admirable for not physically taking on his enemies. It shows the contrast of a peaceful, smart, strategy to complete his goals opposed to the stark contrast of the bloody, very violent revolution.

I enjoyed The Scarlet Pimpernel. It was different than I expected. I was expecting to read it from the Pimpernel's point of view and to know the secret all along. I liked how we had to discover the secret with Lady Blackney.