Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fairy Tales

Fairy tales often share common characteristics-use of the #3, magical elements, transformation, misleading appearances, and conquest of good over evil. Also the hero or heroine is often infallible. Which elements are incorporated in Goose Girl? Why do you think these were chosen and others omitted? How is a fairy tale different from other stories?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one definitely had good over evil, and that made me very happy. It also showed Ani transforming into a beautiful, confident, loving young woman.

Kim-the-girl said...

I think my favorite are the magical elements. I really love the idea of people speaking and nature speaking. It was like it SPOKE to me. ;-)

Kim-the-girl said...

Oh ya, I also watned to say that I appreciated that Ani was NOT infallible. She was like a real person and had real weaknesses and made some mistakes and that was so endearing. I don't think I could stand to read a story that's main character was infallible.

Kim-the-girl said...

One of the elements of fairy tales that was used here and that I don't often love is mistaken identity. I found it a little too predictable, I thought it was a little condescending of the author to think that we really didn't know that Geric was the prince. Then again, it is aimed at a younger audience AND I was able to enjoy the book even though I expected him to be the prince. What do you think?