Since not everyone will be reading each book and since I know there will be a waiting list at some libraries for some of our books, I will try to post books for the next few months.
For June we will be reading "The Devil in the White City", by Eric Larson as recommended by my good friend Kim V. Amazon.com says this about it, "Author Erik Larson imbues the incredible events surrounding the 1893 Chicago World's Fair with such drama that readers may find themselves checking the book's categorization to be sure that The Devil in the White City is not, in fact, a highly imaginative novel. Larson tells the stories of two men: Daniel H. Burnham, the architect responsible for the fair's construction, and H.H. Holmes, a serial killer masquerading as a charming doctor. Burnham's challenge was immense...Combining the stories of an architect and a killer in one book, mostly in alternating chapters, seems like an odd choice but it works. The magical appeal and horrifying dark side of 19th-century Chicago are both revealed through Larson's skillful writing."
July's book is a newfound personal favorite of mine, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. From Amazon.com, " As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship. Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable."PLEASE don't let this premise keep you from this PHENOMENAL love story. Trust me, you will enjoy it!
I am so looking forward to reading and discussing these books with you. I hope you are too! Happy reading!
8 comments:
I noticed the word "erotic" in the review. Is that really the kind of book we should be reading???? I'm quite shocked Kim! And frankly, I'm bit disappointed that it's not the NEXT book that we'll be reading cause I'm all excited now! Woo woo! The sequel just arrived in our store. I hadn't heard much about it, but after reading the blurb on it, it made me want to read the first (Twilight).
Heather, you will not be disappointed in the book, I guarantee it! I'm a little disappointed its not the next book too, but I want to spread the light and easy stuff out so that those people who aren't interested in it, don't lost interest in our book club. By the way, I worried about putting the review in because of that word, but it was a way better review than the others I found.
Alright now. Kim have you had a chance to read this one yet? (Devil in the White City). I'm just checking. Because I'm a ways into it now and I'm really wondering what I've got myself headed into. I just need a little reassurance if I'm going to continue on. What do you say? :)
By the way everyone should DEFINETELY read the Twilight series. I loved both the 1st and 2nd. A lot! :)
I now have Eclipse on pre-order. I have read all the out-takes, know exactly what every car looks like and I'm secretly in love with Edward (don't tell Sean). WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME KIM!!!
It will pass, don't worry too much. I think your marriage will survive your obsession, mine did...;)
KellyAnne, If you check this-I think you could continue on. I don't know how far you got, but I didn't feel scandalized really by the book. If you are, sorry. If you don't want to continue on-just do the discussion based on what you have read.
So, because I live in a small town with a very limited library, and one very limited bookstore, so far I've been unable to get any of the books on our reading list....with exception of one. The library did have New Moon, which I knew was the sequel to twilight. I decided to borrow it and requested the library get the first (plus the others on our "booklist". I just have to say....I was not warned at how addictive and also how overpowering this series could be! I'm not usually the type to start a series in the middle, but thought I'd just read the first chapter of New Moon to see what it was all about......I couldn't put it down. Luckily for some strange reason that day, both girls took a nap (a rare thing in our house) and then Jared had to work that night and both girls, after taking a nap, fell asleep early. I read the whole book. I became engrossed in it and the story. I had to get my hands on Twilight. I decided the next day to go to walmart to see if they had it on a whim. I had looked last week, but they didn't have it at the time. Well, it wasn't on the shelves, and I was about to give up, when I saw an employee wheel out a cart of new Young Adult books....low and behold it was there, and cheap! I bought it, and am ashamed to admit I stayed up last night to read it. I loved it and can't wait for the third. But again, Kim, you did not prepare me for how obsessed one can become with these books! I feel a little embarrassed actually! But am glad to see that I'm not the only one. Well, now that I've written my own novel, and because I know this book is going to be our book of the month soon, I won't say anything more, but I did love the book, and am thankful for the suggestion!
Jenny H.
I am so glad that you liked it Jenn. I also read the book that quickly and was also embarrassed. I am really excited to start our discussion...HOORAY!
Post a Comment